Letter from the President
Dear Families, Friends and Supporters,
Welcome to MACtown, Inc., or shall I say the virtual world of MACtown, Inc.
I hope you take a few moments to peruse this web site so you may learn about the wonderful things we do here at MACtown, get to know the people we serve, and those that serve them. The mission of MACtown, Inc. (Miami Achievement Center for the Developmentally Disabled) is to create hope and opportunity for People with Developmental and Intellectual Disabilities.
We believe that all people, at all ages, and all levels of ability, have the potential to learn and grow. We also believe that all individuals are entitled to the same dignity and respect that each of us expects in our lives.
The mission of MACtown, Inc. is “Furthering the Independence of People with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities”. In order to achieve our mission the following beliefs and tenets must be adhered to and practiced in all of our decisions and actions.
BELIEFS AND TENETS
- Virtually nothing is impossible.
- We must explore the far reaches of human potential so we may ever raise our levels of expectation for ourselves and those whom we serve.
- The people we serve do not fail-but we fail them due to our human and systemic weaknesses.
- The people we serve are people first.
- We must always advocate, despite all odds.
- We must progressively and sensitively balance safety and common sense with the dignity of risk that is necessary for people to grow. We must be creative and fair enough to encourage the people we serve to make informed choices whenever safe and reasonable.
- Our staff is invaluable and can learn, develop and rise to any height it chooses.
- The people we serve should be treated as individuals, and prescriptive programs and treatments designed to meet each persons unique needs.
- We have a responsibility, where feasible, to contribute to advancements in the field of developmental disabilities.
- We are part of a team in the service of people with developmental disabilities along with those we serve, their families, and other community and governmental agencies.
- We support Florida’s ‘Bill of Rights” for the Developmentally Disabled.